Kate Underwood assists clients in oil and gas transactional matters, including oil and gas acquisitions, sales, leasing and operations, title examination and due diligence. She has represented independent landowners, publicly traded oil and gas companies and privately held companies in connection with oil and gas assets. Kate has experience in preparing title opinions, negotiating, and drafting contracts, drafting curative documents, and performing due diligence in Texas and New Mexico.
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- State Bar of New Mexico, Member
- Midland County Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Texas Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law Section, Member
- State Bar of New Mexico Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law Section, Member
- Young Professionals in Energy
- Permian Basin Landman’s Association
- Texas Exes, Life Member
OIL AND GAS EXPLORATION COMPANIES
- Rendering acquisition, original drilling, supplemental and division order title opinions and preparation of title and curative instruments.
- Royalty and mineral ownership disputes and transfers.
- Analyze lease provisions, surface use agreements and related agreements on behalf of operators, mineral and landowners.
- Transfers of ownership, including conveyances, assignments, partitions, and stipulation agreements.
TITLE EXAMINATION AND DUE DILIGENCE
- Preparation of original title opinions, supplemental title opinions and division order title opinions.
- Conducts due diligence work in connection with purchase of mineral and royalty interests.
- Conducts due diligence in connection with acquisition of oil and gas leases, including asserting and resolving title defect issues.