- University of Houston Law Center, J.D., cum laude, 2005
- Texas A&M University, B.A., cum laude, 1999
- Texas, 2005
- New Mexico, 2016
- United States District Court Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas
Paul P. Santoyo
Paul Santoyo advises clients in matters related to energy and natural resources law. He represents exploration and production companies in connection with their upstream activities, including title examination, drafting and negotiating operation agreements and leases, and handling issues related to the development of prospect areas. Paul also counsels clients on farm and ranch sales and land management issues.
Paul is Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Oil, Gas, and Mineral Law. He advises oil and gas exploration companies as well as mineral and royalty owners.
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Texas Bar Foundation, Sustaining Life Fellow
- American Association of Professional Landmen, Member
- San Antonio Association of Professional Landmen, President
- Austin Professional Landmen’s Association, Member
- Young Professionals in Energy, San Antonio, Member
- San Antonio Bar Association, Natural Resources Section, Member
- San Antonio Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law, Member
- North San Antonio Chamber Leadership Lab, 2014
- Selected for inclusion as a “Top Attorney,” San Antonio Magazine, 2023
- 2023 Ty Griesenbeck Inspiration Award Winner, Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- Scene in SA, “San Antonio’s Rising Star Lawyers,” 2011, 2013, 2023
- Selected for inclusion in “Who’s Who in Energy,” San Antonio Business Journal, 2015
- Scene in SA, “San Antonio’s Best Lawyers,” 2011, 2021
- 06.30.22: Fixed or Floating Royalty for Oil, Gas & Mineral Title Examination Course, 2022
- 06.14.18: Pooling of Non-Executive Interests for Oil, Gas & Mineral Title Examination Course, 2018
- 06.26.15: Minerals Underlying Highways, Roads, Rivers and Streams – an Overview of Ownership and Leasing Issues, for Oil, Gas & Mineral Title Examination Course, 2015
- 06.05.14: Oil and Gas Lease Analysis, Including Termination, by Katy Moore and Paul Santoyo, Gas and Mineral Titles Examination Course, State Bar of Texas
- 10.03.13: Basics of Oil and Gas Leases, Oil, Gas & Energy Resources Law 101 Course, State Bar of Texas
- 10.08.09: Minerals Underlying Highways, Roads, Rivers and Streams – an Overview of Ownership and Leasing Issues, for Advanced Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law Course, 2009
- 08.24.07: Laws Regarding Wind Energy Development Headed for Texas, San Antonio Business Journal
OIL AND GAS TITLE AND DUE DILIGENCE
Representing oil and gas exploration companies, Paul advises on all facets of operational activities and issues, including:
- Represents diverse client base, including publicly traded companies, independent E&P companies and private equity and private equity-backed groups in connection with their operations throughout the State of Texas with specific emphasis on the South Texas, Eagle Ford Shale, West Texas, Permian Basin, East Texas and Eaglebine regions and plays.
- Advises on acquisition of both producing and non-producing assets, including negotiating letters of intent and purchase and sale agreements, conducting due diligence work and reviewing and drafting of title documentation, and resolving title disputes.
- Prepares original title opinions, supplemental title opinions and division order title opinions.
- Prepares limited title reports focusing on specific assets or interests held or to be acquired by the client, including working interests, overriding royalty interests, mineral and royalty interests, non-participating royalty interests and surface interests as well as identifying potential defects and risks and suggesting practical curative documentation and action.
- Counsels clients in connection with title defects and risks and assists with curative documentation or action necessary to mitigate such risks.
- Prepares title instruments affecting ownership, including conveyancing instruments, partitions, stipulations of interest agreements as well as affidavits of heirship.
- Represents exploration and production companies in all facets of exploration and development of prospects, including preparation of pooling and unit designations, dissolution and reformation of units and production sharing and allocation agreements.
- Advises clients in connection with lease compliance and administration issues, including compliance with pooling provisions, royalty payment obligations and drafting and negotiating curative documentation.
- Counsels clients on mineral and royalty ownership disputes and transfers.
- Conducts due diligence in connection with acquisition of oil and gas leases, including asserting and resolving title defect issues and coordinating with and managing brokers in field.
- Negotiates leases, producing sharing and allocation agreements, surface use agreements and related agreements on behalf of operators, mineral and land owners.
- Reviews title instruments affecting mineral and royalty ownership, and coordinates with oil and gas payors to distribute production proceeds in accordance with such instruments.